Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Set size||12 or 16|
|Tune||Siege of Delhi|
|Musical sequence||A. AA BB CCA BB CA BCC|
This page is a placeholder! You can help by filling in the dance details.
6 single steps with relaxed arm swings, 1 double step with show up (as in Fieldtown)
- Dance on - start in line of 12 off stage
- Dance straight onstage in 2 sequences of stepping.
- At start of phrase, front 3 dancers pivot as a unit to form a windmill arm at 3 o'clock (1 on outside, 3 in center)
- Next 3 dancers move straight up to 12 o'clock
- Next three pivot as a unit to form the 9 0'clock arm (dancer 7 in center, 9 on outside)
- Last 3 dancers move straight up to form 6 o'clock arm
- That takes one sequence of stepping and all face clockwise
- Rotate the windmill using one sequence of stepping to move 1/4 around. Finishes with original first 3 at 12 o'clock
- All dance forward for one sequence to edge of an imaginary square, outside person at the corner of the square.
- All turn right 90 degrees and dance along the side of the square to the opposite corner
- All turn right and dance forward to reform the windmill in one sequence. Everyone is halfway around the set from starting position
- Continue dancing forward to opposite edge of square
- Turn right, dance along the edge
- Turn right, dance forward to reform the windmill back in starting postion
- Reel - hey for 12 down each arm and up the next clockwise around
- Outsides face in, middles and centers face out in radial lines of 3. Start a right shoulder hey for 3
- When the outside person reaches the center, instead of turning back up the line, they cross to the bottom of the next arm clockwise around the set
- This can be thought of as a right shoulder pass with the other 4 dancers coming down their lines which is followed by a left shoulder pass up the next line
- Each dancer in turn will cross to the next set as they come to the center.
- Each pass takes one single step. At the end of 6 single steps, original outside people are facing in at the end of the next arm clockwise around
- Middle people are facing the outside people one arm around,
- while original centers are back in their starting positon ready to cross over to the next arm on the next single step
- Everyone does the end of sequence double step on the spot (ideally, in practice people are usually still trying to get to position)
- Repeat 3 more times moving to each arm in turn to finish in original arm
- Rounds and Stars
- At end of reel, outside dancers start a large clockwise circle. Middle and center dancers continue up the arm, turn right 90 degrees and fall in behind
- Circle around until end of second stepping sequence (8 bars).
- Front of each group of 3 (original outside dancers) turns over right shoulder and they dance a circle of 3 for 4 bars
- All turn over left shoulder and dance a left hand star of 3 for another 4 bars (take hands in the star)
- At the end of the phrase, whoever is tangent to the original large circle continues the circle counter clockwise, other 2 continue the star and fall in behind
- In and Out
- Circle counter clockwise for 2 stepping sequences (that includes the time to form the circle)
- All face in and advance slowly into center. Show and whoop on the double step
- All slowly back out to original circle
- Repeat all that except do a foot together jump with 180 degree spin right to finish facing out with a show
Dance off (optional)
- 2 people at head of set (decided during the in and out as this is somewhat indeterminate) dance away from each other around the outside of the circle
- Everyone else dancers towards the head of the set and follows. The 2 people at the bottom of the set split to go opposite directions
- Front 2 people circle around and cross through the center followed by everyone else.
- This produces a figure 8 pattern will alternate sides crossing through the middle
- After some amount of time, #1 leads off and everyone else follows
Variation for 16
- All figures are done in groups of 4 instead of 3.
- For the reel, the outermost person does not participate in the reel but dances 1/4 around clockwise each sequence to meet their line which has moved